The castle was built in 1588 by Sir Henry Wallop. It is generally accepted that an earlier castle existed on the site and materials from this Anglo-Norman building may have been used in the construction of the castle as it stands today.
The building consists of three storeys over a basement, built on a rectangular plan. Circular towers can be found at the corners of the building.
The castle was vacant for many years and was leased to different occupants over time.
In the early 1900's, the castle underwent a period of restoration.
It was vacated in 1951 and sold 2 years later.
Further refurbishments took place in the early 1960's, though much of the castle's original charm and features were maintained.
Enniscorthy Castle has been maintained to an excellent standard and is now open to the public for the purpose of tourism.
|Inventory of Architectural Heritage||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Tourist Information||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|