The Enniskillen Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1845 at a cost of £10,165. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 1,000 inmates. The Enniskillen Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballycassidy, Ballyreagh, Carn, Castlecoole, Clabby, Ealy, Enniskillen, Florence Court, Holywell, Kinawley, Laragh, Letterbreen, Manor of Carrick, Rahalton, and Tempo in Co. Fermanagh, Glen, Killinagh, Swanlinbar, and Tullynamoltra in Co. Cavan, and Kilskeery in Co. Tyrone.
The Enniskillen Workhouse was closed in 1948 with the site being redeveloped as the Erne Hospital. Only a small number of buildings are still in use today.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|