Teach na mBocht Inis Díomáin aka Ennistymon Workhouse was built on the Ennistymon side of the townland of Lehinch. It first opened its doors to paupers in July 1842.
During the Great Famine 1845-57, a 30-bed fever hospital was erected on the site. In 1852, the northern and eastern parts of Ennistymon Union were transferred to the new Ballyvaughan and Corofin Unions.
Most of the workhouse was demolished in the 1920s and replaced by a cottage hospital (now known as Ennistymon Community Hospital). A portion of the dining-hall and chapel are still extant and the Great Hunger Memorial "An Gorta Mór" can be found nearby on the Lehinch Road.
See below for Clare Library links to Ennistymon Workhouse records.
|Ennistymon Workhouse Records and more||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|History of Ennistymon Workhouse||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
Type of Building:
Some communities associated with this building
Some ancestors associated with this building