The Ennistymon Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £8,400. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Ennistymon Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Burren, Carron, Corofin, Drumcreehy, Ennistymon, Kilfenora, Killilagh, Killonahan, Kilshanny, Liscanor, Miltown Malbay, Rath, and Rathbourney.
The Ennistymon Union minute books are available online here.
The Ennistymon Workhouse was mostly destroyed in the 1920's and the site is now occupied by the Ennistymon Community Hospital.