Lóiste an Fheáirn Mhóir aka Farnmore Cottage sat on the southern boundary of the townland from which it took its name (Feáin Mór lit. of the 'great alder').
In 1824, it was the property of Lord Hartland of Strokestown House and occupied by Maurice Knox Esq. (aka Morris Knox) who continued to hold it in 1834 when the "cottage" was valued at £7 12s.
In 1857, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was occupied by Thomas Roberts Esq. and valued at £5 10s. Roberts' conduct as a landlord was strongly criticised by the Carnaska Branch of the Irish National League in 1887:
The action of the following landlords was strongly condemned for the harsh and cruel treatment of their tenants—namely: Pakenham Mahon STROKESTOWN PARK, Dillon, and J Walpole CASTLENODE, and the conduct of Thomas Roberts, Esq, Farnmore, was strongly protested against, for causing writs to be served on two members of the branch in Clooncagh. [Flag of Ireland - Saturday 22 January 1887 ].
Roberts was still at Farnmore in 1891.
By 1901, it was occupied by Thomas Murray, Gentleman Farmer, and family (Roman Catholics). It was then described as a 16-room 1st class house, slated, with 13 windows to the front.
In the 1911 Census, Farnmore, occupied by Peter Murray (RC) was described as a 1st class house reduced to 13 rooms and 5 windows to the front.
[Research by Rua Mac Diarmada]