The Glenties Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1841. The Workhouse was opened in 1846 at a cost of £6,040. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Glenties Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ardara, Derryloaghan, Dunglow, Fintown, Glenties, Kilcar, Kilgoly, Killybegs, Lettermacaward, Malinbeg, Menavally, Mullaghderg, Naran, and Rutland.
The Workhouse eventually became the Glenties District Hospital. The original buildings were demolished in 1960 and the site is now occupied by a school.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|