Glosh Tower on Termon Hill is a Napoleonic Signal Tower that dates back to 1806. Signal Towers were to keep watch on the coast for any sign of the French who might be invading; at such a sign, signals would be passed on the next tower and so on back to the commanding station.
In reaction to the surprise landing of General Humbert and the French in Kilcummin near Killala in 1798, the English immediately set about guarding the coastline by building signal towers. They were mostly built around 1806 and noted for their tall square shape with buttresses and quarry slates to protect the outside walls.
Glosh tower, situated at the summit of Termon Hill (53 meters above sea level) commands a fine view. It is one of 82 Napoleonic Towers that were built around the coast of Ireland between 1801-1806.