Goldenbridge RC Cemetery

St Jude'sCounty Dublin

Share This:
Goldenbridge Cemetery Mortuary Chapel EST. 1829

Goldenbridge was the first Catholic cemetery to be permitted in Ireland since the Reformation. When Catholic emancipation began in the 1820s, three acres at Goldenbridge were purchased by the Catholic Association for £600 and the first burial took place on 15 October 1828. (Glasnevin Cemetery opened in 1832.)

The British Army's 92nd Regiment of Foot at Richmond Barracks (next door) complained about the noise and commotion caused by these Catholic funeral processions passing their barracks.

Mass burials took place during the Great Famine (1845–49) and during a cholera epidemic of 1867.

Notable burials include:

William Francis Burke (1897–1916), member of E Company, 4th Battalion, Dublin Brigade, Irish Volunteers; killed during the Easter Rising
Andrew Clinch (1867–1937), rugby union player; played on the 1896 British Lions tour to South Africa
Liam Cosgrave (1920–2017), Taoiseach 1973–77
W. T. Cosgrave (1880–1965), President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State 1922–32
Tom Macken (1937-2019), local artist
Eugene Lynch (1907–1916), an eight-year-old boy killed during the 1916 rising.

The cemetery now forms part of a tourist attraction with nearby Richmond Barracks.

References

Goldenbridge Cemetery Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:

Graveyard (Cemetery)

Communities Associated with this Building

Timeline Events Associated with this Building