The Gorey Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,700. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Gorey Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballycaneu, Ballyellis, Camolin, Coolgraney, Courtown, Gorey, Monomolin, Rosmanogue, Wells, and Wingfiel.
During the worst years of the Great Famine, extensions were put in place to accomodate a further 80 inmates.
The Gorey Workhouse site is now in use as a Business Park with very few original features still standing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Wexford Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|