This railway station was opened on 15th September 1869. It was one of the stations on the Athenry and Ennis Junction Railway. The authorities took great pride in their claim to be the first line in Ireland to take third-class passengers, though, in fact, it had been done by D.K.R. twenty-five years previously.
The line was closed in 1967 but was re-opened in 2010.
The railway station was a busy place on fair days.
Lady Gregory and W.B. Yeats frequently used this line on their way to Dublin, changing trains at Athenry junction.