The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Granard Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £7,150. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates, but census records show that the true number of inmates reached as high as 1,287 in 1852. The Granard Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Abbeylara, Castle, Coole, Foyrn, Lickbla, Clonbroney, Columbkill, Gelshagh, Granard, Lough Gowna, and Rathowen, and in County Cavan, Drumlumman, Mullahoran, and Scrabby.
The Granard Workhouse was demolished and the site is now occupied by the Cnoc Mhuire Secondary School.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|