Grangegorman Female Convict Depot opened in 1836 as the first exclusively female prison in the British Isles. It housed females with imprisonment sentences as well as those sentenced to transportation. The prison's main function with respect to convicts was to provide employment training for them so that they might satisfy the ever increasing demands of the Australian authorities that they be fit to earn their living on arrival.
|National Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
Type of Building:
Some communities associated with this building
Some ancestors associated with this building