In 1773 Dublin's second House of Industry was opened here at the site of the derelict malthouse on Channel Row (now North Brunswick Street) in the locality of Glassmanogue and Broadstone.
By 1787 the old malt house was in a ruinous condition and by 1790 was deemed in danger of collapse.
In September 1791 work began on the New House of Industry at a plot just north of the original building at the end of Morning Star Avenue.
In 1803, work on the Hardwicke Fever Hospital began here.
In 1806 he Bedford Asylum for Industrious Children (named after the Duke of Bedford - the then Lord Lieutenant) to accommodate one thousand children, was constructed in 1806 on a site on North Brunswick Street.
The Richmond Surgical Hospital was opened in 1810 to care for the 'ruptured poor' in an old Benedictine Convent nearby in Channel Row (opposite Red Cow Lane).
In 1814 the Whitworth Hospital for chronic patients was built on a site just to the south of the new House of Industry.
In 1820, the Talbot dispensary was opened and attached to the Richmond Surgical Hospital to afford relief to those among the sick poor who were not considered suitable for hospital accommodation and were resident in the north-west district of Dublin.