Caisleán Ghráinne aka Grania Wael's Castle aka The Castle on Clare Island was built in the 16th century and is considered to be a fine example of a tower house. It was, for a long time, the stronghold of the Pirate Queen Grace O’Malley (Granuaile), a historical figure in 16th-century Irish history.
The strategic location of the castle was vital to controlling the waters of Clew Bay. In the mid-1820s the castle was converted into a police barracks and at this time the purple slate flashing was added to the two bartizans. It was taken over by the Coastguard in 1831.
|Visit Clare Island||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|