The Green Cinema was a film theatre that operated for over half a century in Dublin, on the west side of St Stephen's Green, near Grafton Street. For many years it was the lagest and the only, cinema in this prestigeous area of Dublin.
Originally known as the Stephen's Green Cinema, it opened in December 1935 and included a restaurant and cafe. It was designed in relatively plain Art Deco style by the firm of Jones & Kelly, with a seating capacity of 1,500. The cinema offered an added attraction for young couples with its double-seats. Some seats were equipped with a Fortephone apparatus which enabled patrons suffering from deafness to hear the soundtrack.
The Green was also used as a late-night concert venue in the 1960s. It was ‘twinned’ in the 1970’s by converting the restaurant space into a 2nd screen, leaving the main auditorium intact.
In October 1987, the Green Cinema was purchased by Dublin hotelier, PV Doyle and demolished shortly afterwards, to make way fo the St Stephen's Geen Shopping Centre nearby. A Planet Hollywood restaurant was later built on the site, which has since been closed.
The site remained derelict until 2002, when work began on the construction of a new office block. In 2005, the new building was leased by Bank of Scotland (Ireland) as their Irish headquarters.