The Inishowen Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1843 at a cost of £7,360. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Inishowen Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ardmallin, Ballyliffin, Buncrana, Carndonagh, Carthage, Castle Cary, Culdaff, Desertegny, Dunaff, Gleneely, Gleneganon, Glentogher, Green Castle, Illies, Inishowen, Malin, Mintiaghs, Moville, Redcastle, Straid, Tirmone, and Whitecastle.
The site is now occupied by the Carndonagh District Hospital with the original buildings being destroyed in 1958.