Iveagh House was originally two houses, nos 80 and 81 St Stephen's Green.
No. 80 was designed by Richard Cassels in 1736 for the Bishop of Cork, Robert Clayton, and was later occupied by Master of the Rolls and barrister, John Philpot Curran.
In 1862, Benjamin Guinness bought both houses and combined them to produce the building we see today.
the coat of arms displayed on the facade represents his family arms – the Magennis clan of County Down (with the Red Hand of Ulster above) on the left and the Lee family of Dublin (builders from about 1700) on the right.
It was renamed "Iveagh House" in 1939 when the then Lord Iveagh (Benjamin Guinness's grandson, Rupert) gifted the building to the Irish State for use as the Department of External Affairs.
Iveagh House today is the headquarters of the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin.
WATCH: A Virtual Tour of Iveagh House
|Archiseek: Iveagh House history||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|