In 1837 Johnstown Castle was recorded as an ‘ancient edifice’. It is thought that it was built in the 1450s or slightly later by Robert St. John. The building was constructed from limestone and stood on high ground. Its watch tower and narrow windows were the main points of note.
Part of the castle still exists today, though the large site around it is now used as gardens for visiting, and is also the site of one of the most comprehensive displays of farming and rural life in the country.
|Short history of Johnstown Castle and the parish||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|