The Kells Augustinian Priory is located in Kellsborough, County Kilkenny.
It was founded in the 12th century Geoffrey Fitzrobert de Monte Morisco, the Lord Cantred of Kells.
The first canons were brought over from Cornwall.
From the earliest days of the Priory's establishment the canons were granted vast areas of land. The power and influence of the Priory continued to grow from there until the 13th and 14th centuries when their fortunes began to turn,
The Priory was dissolved in 1540 by the English King Henry VIII.
Today a number of buildings still stand, including a Church, Chapel, Prior's Residene, and a Round Tower. The site measures roughly four acres and is enclosed by a large defensive wall.
|History of Kells Monastic Site||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Discovery Programme||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|