The Kenmare Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1845 at a cost of £7,930. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Kenmare Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballybog, Bowrdoneen, Bunawn, Kenmare, Kilgarvan, Tuosist, and Templenoe.
The Kenmare Workhouse site is now occupied by the local community hospital.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|