The Killarney Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1845 at a cost of £8,550. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Killarney Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Aghadoe, Currans, Kilcummin, Killarney, Kilbonane, Kilcoleman, Killaha, Killeenteran, Killorglin, Knockane, Molahiffe, and Nohaval.
The Killarney Workhouse site is now occupied by the main home for the elderly in County Kerry, St Columbanus;.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|