In April 1839, a house, offices Corn and Bleach Mills (valued at £11 40s) were recorded at Cartron (Danesfort) in the name of John McLaughlin & John King.
In 1857, this holding [#GV4B] at Cartron was owned by John Dunne M.D. of Drumsna. Patrick Barrett was the immediate lessor of the 8 acres of land on this site [4B] in addition to the house [4Ba] mill [4Bb] which had reduced in value to £7. In Cartron, [GV4A &5] Barrett also held an additional 56 acres and a small 5 shilling house [GV13c] which was vacant at that time. By 1867, Barrett was no longer present, presumed emigrated.
By the late 1890s, no trace of this L-shaped corn mill [GV4Bb] appears on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map, however, the house [GV4Ba] was still occupied.
Sometime between 1867 and 1871 Patrick Kellagher and wife Mary McHugh / McCue moved from their farm in Coredrehid to this house at Cartron.
In the 1901 Census, Patrick Kellagher (1840- ) and sons are resident in this 6-room house by the waterfall. It was the only slated house in the townland and had 4 windows to the front. Given its age, it was recorded as a 2nd class house. Pat and his son John were still farming in Cartron in 1911.
The Corn Mill and Dwelling house at Killukin Cascades (Cartron) are no longer extant.
[Research by Rua Mac Diarmada 2018]
~ Ancestors from Cartron or Killukin Cascades? If YES ... post your connection below ~