Kilmainham Gaol Courthouse was built in 1820 (to design attributed to William Farrell) to replace an older courthouse on the same site. It has a long involvement in Dublin's legal history up until 2008.
The courthouse was used to trial inmates of Kilmainham Gaol (located immediately to the west), as a Grand Jury Sessions House, and also fulfilled many of the functions of a county hall. Later in the 20th-century, the courthouse was used as a District Court, Family Law Court and the Headquarters of Dublin County Library.
After its closure in 2008, the building was renovated by the Office of Public Works and reopened in 2016 as the Kilmainham Gaol Museum Visitor Centre.
|NIAH Buildings of Ireland: Kilmainham Courthouse||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Kilmainham Gaol Museum||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|