The Kinsale Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £6,900. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Kinsale Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballyfeard, Ballyfoyle, Ballymartle, Carrigaline, Cullen, Courcies, Kilmanogue, Kilpatrick, Kinnure, Kinsale, Leofany, Liscleary, Nohoval, Templebredy, and Tracton.
The Kinsale Workhouse site is now occupied by the Kinsale Community Hospital with some of the original buildings still survivng and the associated burial ground is marked with a memorial stone.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|