St Johns church in Knockainey is one of Ireland’s most historic rural churches. The church bell tower dates from circa 1600, and the 19th-century church has beautiful stained glass windows, excellent acoustics, 17th century underground vaults and a graveyard containing centuries of mausolea.
It seats 150 people comfortably and is blessed with excellent acoustics. Though the church was deconsecrated in 1999, it maintains all the beauty of a religious setting but with no longer an affiliation to any church. Its original stained glass windows cast an atmospheric light over the proceeding.
The church can be visited at any time by contacting one of the members of Knockainey Heritage Society and visitors are very welcome.