The Lisburn Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £7,558. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Lisburn Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballyscolly, Derryaghy, Glenavy, Island Kelly, Knocknadona, Legatirriff, Lisburn, Lissue, Magheragall, Malone, and Tullyrusk in Co. Antrim, Annahill, Ballykeel, Ballymacbrennan, Ballyworfy, Blaris, Breda, Dromara, Drumbeg, Drumbo, Glasdrummin, Hillsborough, Killany, Maze, Ouley, and Saintfield in Co. Down.
In 1921 the Lisburn Workhouse was closed and the site was repurposed as the Lisburn District Hospital.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|