The Lismore Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,500. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Lismore Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballysaggartmore, Cappoquin, Castlerichard, Kilcochlin, Lismore, Macollop, West Modeligo, Tallow, and Temple Michael.
Extensions were put in place during the worst years of the Great Famine in the 1840's. This increased the capacity to 600 inmates.
The Lismore Workhouse had a Turkish bath installed.
The Lismore Workhouse was later repurposed as St Carthages Hospital, and the site is now being redeveloped for housing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Waterford Archive||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|