The Listowel Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1845 at a cost of £7,256. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Listowel Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Abbeydorney, Ardfert, Ballyheigue, Ballylongford, Drumkeen, Duagh, Gunsborough, Kilconly, Kilfeighny, Kilflyn, Killahan, Killahinny, Kilmoily, Kilshinane, Kiltomy, Knockanure, Lissleton, Listowel, Newtownsands, Rattoo, and Tarbert.
The Listowel Workhouse closed in 1921 and the site is now occupied by a local hospital with none of the original buildings still standing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|