Loughmacrory Lodge

TermonmaguirkCounty Tyrone

Share This:
circa 1837 ©OPW geohive.ie

Loughmacrory Lodge was the only big house in the civil parish of Termonmaguirk in the early 19th century.

In 1837, Lweis describes "Loughmacrory" as the seat of Sir Hugh Stewart, Bart. JP & DL (1792-1854) 2nd Baronet "of Ballygawly House & Loughmacrory Lodge" who was MP for County Tyrone, 1830-35.

  • In 1854, Hugh was succeeded by John Marcus Stewart Bart. DL, (1830-1905), who was High Sheriff of County Tyrone in 1858.

  • In 1905, John was succeeded by Sir Hugh Houghton Stewart Bart. (1858-1942) JP & DL who was High Sheriff of County Tyrone in 1903.

  • In 1942, Hugh was succeeded by Sir Geroge Powel Stewart, 5th Baronet (1861-1945).

  • Sir Hugh Charlie Godray Stewart (1897-1994) 6th Baronet of Loughmacrory Lodge was a major in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, High Sheriff, 1955, and a DL for County Tyrone in 1971.

  • The family vault is at Termonmaguirke Parish Church, Carrlckmore.

Ballygawley House was a mansion house set on the demesne of Greenhill near Ballygawly, Co. Tyrone.  It was irreparably damaged by fire in 1920. 

  • George Vesey Stewart of Ballygawley brought the first Irish settlers to New Zealand. He was a prolific businessman and landowner there. "Mount Stewart" in Athrenee (NZ) built by his brother Sir Hugh Stewart and wife Adela.

Type of Building:

House

Communities Associated with this Building

Timeline Events Associated with this Building