Note: Lowtherstown is now called Irvinestown
The Lowtherstown Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1845 at a cost of £7,962. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 400 inmates. The Lowtherstown Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Castle Archdale, Clonelly, Dromore, Kesh, Lack, Lowtherstown, and Tubbrid in Co. Fermanagh, and Moorfield and Trillick in Co. Tyrone.
The Lowtherstown Workhouse closed in 1918. The buildings were later used as an RIC barracks. The site has since been repurposed for housing with none of the original buildings surviving.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|