The Lurgan Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £9,900. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Lurgan Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Breagh, Brownlow's Derry, Carrowbrack, Drumcree, Kernan, Lurgan, Montiaghs, Portadown, and Tartaraghan in Co. Armagh, Ballylenny, Cornekinegar, Donaghcloney, Magheralin, Moira, Tullylish, and Waringstown in Co. Down, and Aghagallon, Aghalee, and Ballinderry in Co. Antrim.
During the worst years of the Great Famine, extensions were put in place to accomodate a further 1,200 inmates.
In 1929 the Lurgan Workhouse site was repurposed and it became the Lurgan District Hospital. Few of the original buildings still survive.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|