The Macroom Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £9,369. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Macroom Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Aglish, Aghabulloge, Ballyvournay, Cannavee, Clondrohid, Donaghmore, Inchageela, Kilcorney, Kilnamartyr, Macloneigh, Macroom, Magowney, Matehy, Milmurry, and Ovens.
In 1921 the Macroom Workhouse was burned down by armed civilians.
The Macroom Workhouse site is now occupied by local Community Hospital with very few of the original buildings surviving.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|