The Mallow Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £7,250. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Mallow Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballyclough, Buttevant, Cahirduggan, Charleville, Churchtown, Clenor, Doneraile, Imphriek, Kilbolane, Kilshanie, Liscarroll, Mallow, Monanimy, Mourneabbey, Ruhan, and Shandrum.
In 1922 the Mallow Workhouse became the County Home, and it later changed again to become the Mallow General Hospital, which is the purpose that it still serves today.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|