Marie Elizabeth Hayes (1874 - 1908) Doctor and Missionary
Marie Elizabeth Hayes, the oldest daughter of the Rev. Francis Hayes and his wife Annabella Willson, was born on 17 May 1874, in the Glebe House, Raheny. Her father was appointed Rector of Raheny Parish in 1873 and served the parish for over forty years. Her mother founded the Mothers’ Union of Ireland promoting the well-being of families.
Marie was a pupil of Alexandra College and then decided to study for a medical degree. She continued her education at the Catholic University School of Medicine. She was conferred with her degree in 1904. After graduation she worked for a few months as a locum in the Belfast Infirmary. In preparation for work in India, she attended the School of Tropical Medicine in London and also undertook special missionary training and the study of the Urdu language.
In 1905, Marie went to work for the Cambridge Mission to Delhi, India. St. Stephen’s Hospital, the first hospital for women and children in Delhi was opened in 1885. Marie worked there as well as the missions two other hospitals in Karnal and Rewari. She was later given sole control of the hospital in Rewari.
She died in Delhi on 4th January 1908, aged only 33 years. Her funeral service was held in St. Stephen’s Church, followed by her burial in the Indian Christian Cemetery.
Her memorial service was held in All Saints' Church, Raheny, on January 6, 1908.
A memorial in the form of a Celtic Cross stands in the center of Raheny Village. The inscription on the front of the Cross reads:
Marie Elizabeth Hayes
Doctor and Missionary,
Heal the sick
Say unto them
Of God is
Come into You.