The Maltings were built around the year 1865 and consisted of a barley store, two malt stores, two malt houses, and three kilns.
It was established in Portlaoise by a Mr John Wrafter in 1866.
The Maltings changed hands in the 1880's, coming into the ownership of Messrs Gibey who carried on using the site for malting well into the 1970's.
They then changed hands once more, this time going to Minch Norton, who ran their maltings until the recent closure.
|Inventory of Architectural Heritage||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|