McHale Park in Castlebar, is the home of Mayo GAA and is name after the Archbishop of Tuam, John McHale. The ground was built in 1931 and has a capacity of almost 32,000.
The gound has gone through many developments since it was built and currently is an all-seater ground with a stand that holds 10,000 people. The ground was owned by Castlebar Mitchels and in 1990, after discussions of Hyde Park in Roscommon becoming the main ground in Connaught, the club started major developments to make it into the ground that it is today. Subsequently, Mayo County Board took over the running of the ground from the Mitchels and are currently planning more developments to enhance the ground including the resurfacing of the pitch. The ground has up-to-date communication facilities that is ideal for radio and tv broadcasts and part of the recent development includes the Mayo GAA County Board offices and a hospitality 'green room'.
Castlebar Mitchels own other pitches adjacent to McHale Park where their teams train and play. They have recently opened a brand new all-weather 4G training pitch. They also own 'An Sportlann', which is the club's clubhouse and this is used on Mayo GAA game days for refreshments and food. The building has a gym, a basketball court, meeting rooms, and a squash court. It is used by other community groups like Castlebar Pantomime and the Court Services.
In 2016, McHale Park was one of the stadiums included in the Rugby World Cup 2023 bid. It is currently being used as a COVID testing centre.
Going forward, the new developments will extend the pitch by 5 metres and new drainage systems will be installed and it is hoped this work will be done by 2022.
Type of Building:
Some communities associated with this building