Teach Mhaigh Rátha aka Meera House was a Georgian farmhouse (no longer extant) centred in the townland of Meera (alias Tullycottan).
In 1804, the farm of Meera (aka Jones's Meera) and its excellent farm-house and orchard was advertised to let by William O'Mulloy of Oakport:
HOUSES AND LAND TO BE LET, from the 1st of May next, for such term as may be agreed on: the farm of MEERA (known as JONES’s MEERA) county Roscommon, within one mile of the town of Carrick-on-Shannon, on the Boyle road, containing 30 acres and upwards of very fine land, with excellent farm-house lately repaired and newly roofed, a young orchard which produces good fruit as any in the country.
The large established house and concerns in Carrick, now inhabited by Mr. John O'Beirne, merchant. The house is large and roomy; the roof timber fine old oak, which will be engaged perfectly sound; at the rear there is large yard with a well-enclosed extensive garden; a malt-house, with every necessary for the malting business, warehouse, granary, and two stables, with 6 acres choice land at the rear of the garden. This concern is well known and remarkable for being a thriving spot, and the first situation in town for business, that it requires no further comment; the house next to it, now inhabited by Mr. James O'Beirne, Tobacconist, opposite the market-house.
The house lately inhabited by Mrs. Baldwin, on the opposite side, now in the possession of Mr. Michael Ganly.
Also twelve cabins above the barrack, with a garden to each, which is an excellent situation for people in a dealing line, with 2 acres of reclaimed bog. Proposals in writing (post paid) to be made to William Malloy, Esq. Oakport, Elphin; Jeremiah Jones, Sligo, or Jerh. Jones, 44, Dominick-street, Dublin.
[Dublin Evening Post - Thursday 19 January 1804 ]
THE DEVLINS OF MEERA
It would appear that the lease was taken up by a Devlin Esq. (the father of Owen Devlin Esq. of Meera and Dr. Charles Devlin MD of Ballina). The townland of Meera had by this time come into the ownership of John Farrell aka John Ferrall (d. 1823).
MARRIED On Friday morning. In Calry Church, Sligo, by the Rev. Mr. Crozier, Charles Devlan. Esq. of Meera, County Roscommon, to Harriet, youngest daughter of Dr. James Knox, of Ballina, County Mayo. [Dublin Morning Register - Tuesday 11 April 1826]. Charles Devlin Esq. of Meera aka Dr. Charles Devlin, MD (1803-1847) went to work in Ballina. He died during the Great Famine, caring for the poor at Ballina Workhouse, where he contracted Typhus fever.
In 1829, Bernard, Hugh, John and Owen Devlin of Meera registered a £10 freehold each at Meera as did Walter T. Lloyd. [Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette - 9 May 1829]. By Septermber 1829, Bernard Devlin had registered a a £20 freehold here.
Owen Devlin Esq. of Meera was an extensive landed proprietor and merchant. He and his wife, Catherine Mullany had 7 children many of whom went on to become doctors and lawyers: Charles Devlin jr. (pioneer Mayor of Aylmer, Quebec); Bernard Devlin QC (1824-1880); John Joseph Devlin, MD; and Mark Devlin, MD); Owen Joseph Devlin, the youngest, became a notary.
In 1833, the Tithe Applotment Books for Meera record the greater landholders as being William Peyton Esq. (29 Irish acres) and Owen Devlin (26 Irish acres). At this time, the townland of Meera was owned by Daniel H. Farrell (d. 1853) nephew of its previous owner, John Farrell (d.1829).
ANGLESEY LYING-IN-HOSPITAL, BISHOP-STREET, DUBLIN: MR. MARK HENRY DEVLIN, of Meera, in the county of Roscommon, being solemnly and duly examined in Anatomy and Physiology, the Theory and Practice of Midwifery, and Diseases of Females and Children has obtained his Hospital Diploma from the Medical Officers of this Institution. By order, B. P. DORMER, Registrar. February 6th, 1838. [Freeman's Journal - 7 February 1838]
In December 1838, Meera House (valued at £5) was registered in the name of John Dowd (of Ryefield House in the 1850s). It was the only house of any significant value recorded in the townland, and may have been previously occupied by Owen Devlin who had by then become insolvent.
INSOLVENT DEBTORS - PETITIONS TO BE HEARD APRIL 17:
Thomas Jackson, late of Irishtown, farmer. Owen Devlin, late of Meera, county Roscommon, farmer. Patrick Monks, late of Williams’s-place, off Dorset-street, formerly of Lower Dorset-street, grocer and provision dealer; afterwards of New Orleans, in the Southern State of Louisiana, in North America, dealer in fruit, wines, spirits, and cordials. John Cuddihy, late of Hugheslown, county Kildare, gent. Thomas Ellice, late of North King-street, and Barrackstreet, and formerly of Hammond lane, and of Tipper, co. Kildare, baker and miller. [Dublin Morning Register - 27 March 1839]
Owen Devlin's insolvency petition was postponed on a number of occasions throughout 1839 and struck-out that November.
Owen Devlin, an insolvent, was opposed by Mr. Power, on the ground of suppression of property. The case had been gone into on that day fortnight, when it was adjourned, in order to allow the insolvent an opportunity of coming to some arrangement with his creditors. As he had not made any attempt to do so, they were again prepared to go on with the case. The total amount of his debts was about £200, and they alleged that he could easily liquidate the entire sum if he gave up certain lands which they were prepared to prove he held in the county of Sligo, and the sale of which would be more than sufficient for the purpose. After some further observations, the case was adjourned for a fortnight. [Freeman's Journal - Thursday 09 May 1839].
In June 1839, Bernard Devlin Esq. of Meera Gent registered a £20 freehold, and Owen Devlin of Meera, Farmer, registered a £10 freehold here that June. [Roscommon Journal, and Western Impartial Reporter - Saturday 08 June 1839]. The following year, only Owen Devlin of Meera, Farmer, registered a £10 freehold here [Roscommon Journal, and Western Impartial Reporter - Saturday 10 October 1840].
In 1844, Owen Devlin Esq. left Ireland for Canada, to join his son, Charles Devlin, who had settled in Quebec in 1842. Owen was accompanied by his son, Bernard Devlin, who became a lawyer, and counsel to the Abraham Lincoln administration during the American Civil War. Extended family included the future Minister and MP (Canada and Westminster) Charles Ramsay Devlin and the future MP Emmanuel Berchmans Devlin (sons of Bernard's brother Charles Devlin).
THE DOWDS OF MEERA HOUSE
From 1843 onwards, Michael O'Dowde Esq. (1817-1893) is regularly listed as a cess-payer eligible for selection for the Grand Jury at Boyle, among other responsibilities. He married Elizabeth M. Padian and baptised children in the parish of Croghan from 1850-1863. He also served as the Honorable Secretary of Carrick Dispensary in 1868. His brother was Patrick Dowd of Carramore (son of John Dowd of Ryefield).
In 1857, Meera House [GV#2a] was recorded in the name of Michael Dowd (1817-1893) who held 113 statute acres in Meera at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Of the small-farmers present in 1833, only the following had retained their holdings in Meera after the Great Famine: Pat Kellagher [GV#1a], Bernard Farrell, son of Dan [GV#3a] and James Hill [GV#4a]. The townland was held in trust by Daniel H. Farrell.
By 1862, Meera was put up for sale as part of the Incumbered estate of Taafe Ferrall [Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette - Saturday 31 May 1862].
On 5 Aug 1879, Mary Dowd of Meera, Carrick on Shannon (daughter of Michael Dowd & Eliza M Padden) married Thady Kilgallen of Ardnaglass, Co. Sligo. Her sister, Lizzie (Marcella) Dowd married Michael Gallagher, son of Felix Gallager Esq. of Coollooney, Co. Sligo.
The 1901 Census records Meera House as the only 1st class house in the townland. It had 11 rooms, with 5 windows to the front, and a slated roof. Eliza M Dowd (nee Padden), widow, was the head of the family. By 1911, it was occupied by her grandson, John Kilgallon.
In 1912, Meera House was identified on the 25" Ordnance Survey maps. Meera farm is still working today, albeit the farmhouse is no longer extant.