Merrion Graveyard (Bellevue), is located in Merrion townland, St. Mary's Donnybrook civil parish, county Dublin, dates back to 14th Century, had a church nearby which there is now no sign. The graveyard was closed in 1866, and is now in the care of Dublin City Council.
120 soldiers who died in the wreck of the Prince of Wales in 1807 are buried here, transcript of the memorial to them :
to the memory of the Soldiers
belonging to His Majesty’s 18th Regiment
of Foot and a few belonging to other
Corps who actuated by desire of more
Extensive Service Nobly Volunteered
from the South Mayo and different
Regiments of the Irish Militia into the line
and who were unfortunately shipwrecked
on this coast in the Prince of Wales Packet and perished on the night of the 19th of
November 1807 this tribute to their
Memory was erected on their Tomb
by order of GENERAL the EARL of HARRINGTON
commander of the Forces in Ireland"
|The Grand Houses of South East Dublin||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|