The Midleton Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £8,200. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Midleton Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Aghada, Ballyoutragh, Ballyspillane, Carigtoohill, Clonmult, Clonpriest, Cloyne, Dungourney, Garryvoe, Dungan, Ightermurrogh, Imogiely, Killeagh, Kilmacdonough, Kilmahon, Lisgood, Midleton, Templenecarriga, and Youghal.
In 1870 a turkish bath was installed at Midleton Workhouse.
The Midleton Workhouse site is now occupied by Our Lady of Lourdes Community Hospital which specialises in care for the elderly. Some of the original buildings still survive.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|