The Millstreet Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened in 1853 at a cost of £7,165. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Millstreet Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Caherbanagh, Coomlogane, Crinaloo, Cullen, Derragh, Donnalseen, Drishane, Keale, Kilcorney, Knocknagree, Rathcoole and Skagh.
In 1921 the Millstreet Workhouse, which was occupied by the Royal Irish Constabulary, was burned down by Irish Republican forces. None of the original buildings survived.
The Millstreet Workhouse site is now occupied by the local community hospital.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|