The Mitchelstown Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £7,150. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Mitchelstown Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballyarthur, Derryvillane, Farahy, Kilcullane, Kildorrey, Kilphelan, Marshalstown, Mitchelstown, and Templemolaga in Co. Cork, and Anglesborough, Ballylanders, Cullane, Duntryleague, Gallbally, and Riversdale in Co. Limerick.
The Mitchelstown Poor Law Union was dissolved in 1917. The buildings were destroyed and only the entrance gate now survives.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|