Mainistir Inis Díomáin aka Ennistymon Monastery was established in the early 19th century, following Catholic Emancipation.
In 1824, on the invitation of the Rev. Peter O'Loughlin P.P. Ennistymon, two of Edmund Rice's Christian Brothers arrived in the town to set up a school for poor Catholic boys in the area. A disused chapel above Monastery Lane (b. 1812) was converted into classrooms and more than three hundred pupils quickly enrolled. The construction of the Christian Brother's residence pictured above was complete by May 1827.
A new Primary School was opened nearby in 1931, and a new Secondary School was built some 30 years later on this site.