The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Mullingar Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £8,650. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates, but census records show that the true number of inmates reached as high as 2,150 in 1849. The Mullingar Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballyncarrigy, Castlelost, Castletown, Castletowndelvin, Churchtown, Clonfad, Collinstown, Dysart, Enniscoffey, Heathstown, Killare, Killucan, Killulagh, Kinnegad, Leny, Lynn, Mullingar, Multifarnham, Newtown, Piercetown, Raharny, Rathconnell, Rathconrath, Streamstown, Taghmore, and Templeoran.
The site is now St Mary's Care Centre
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|