The Naas Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £6,500. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 550 inmates. The Naas Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballysax, Bodenstown, Carnalway, Carragh, Clane, Downings, Gilltown, Kilcullen, Kildare, Kill, Killashee, Kilmeague, Moorfield, Naas, Newbridge, Old Connell, Rathernan, Rathmore, Timahoe, and Usk in Co. Kildare, Ballymore Eustace in Co. Dublin, and Blessington and Boystown in Co. Wicklow.
The Naas Workhouse had a fever hospital which was seperate from the main Workhouse complex.
The Naas Workhouse site is now occupied by Naas General Hospital with many of the original buildings still surviving.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Kildare Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|