The Navan Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,781. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates. The Navan Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ardbraccan, Ardmulchan, Bective, Castletown, Donaghpatrick, Kentstown, Navan, Painestown, Rathkenny, Stackallen, Staine, and Tara.
The Navan Workhouse site is now occupied by Our Lady's Hospital of Navan, with many of the original buildings still being used.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Meath Local History Resources||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|