The New Ross Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £9,150. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 900 inmates. The New Ross Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Adamstown, Carnagh, Clongeen, Dunbrody, Fethard, Horetown, Newbawn, New Ross, Old Ross, Templedigan, Tintern, and Whitechurch in Co. Wexford, St Mullins in Co. Carlow, and Dysertmoon, Graigue, Inishtigoe. Rosbercon, The Rower, and Woodstock in Co. Kilkenny.
The New Ross Workhouse site is now occupied by the local community hospital. None of the original buildings are still standing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Wexford Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|