The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Newport Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1849. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £6,000. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates, but it never came close to even 50% capactiy, with the highest population of inmates being recorded as 196 in 1853. This is not an indication of affluence in the area and is instead a result of the Newport Workhouse not being opened until after the worst years of the famine had already passed. The Newport Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Achill, Ballycroy, Carraun, Derrylohan, Dooega, Newport, Shramore, And Slievemore.
Though some of the Newport Workhouse buildings are now derelict, there are also some that are in use as residential properties.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|