The Newry Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £8,827. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 1,000 inmates. The Newry Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Clonduff, Crobane, Donagmore, Drumgath, The Glen, Hill-town, Newry, Ouley, Rathfriland, Upper Clonallen, and Warren't Point in Co. Down, and Ballybot, Ballymyere, Belleek, Camlough, Forkill, Jonesborough, Killevy, Latbirget, Mountmorris, Mullaghglass, Pointz Pags, and Tullyhappy in Co. Armagh.
The Newry Workhouse site was later repurposed as the Daisy Hill Hospital, with few original features still in place.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|