The former glebe house, near Strokestown, is an imposing limestone house. The starkness of the structure is relieved by the central bow to the front elevation and the detail of round-headed blind arches. The survival of the timber sash windows contribute to the architectural significance of the house.
This house seems to be most strongly connected to the Morton family. In the 1830s Newtown House was the home of Christopher Southby Harrison, Esq., and his wife Charlotte Morton, daughter of Lewis Hawkes Morton, Esq., whose estate of Bogwood was also in County Roscommon. By the time of Griffith's Evaluation, it was listed as Newtown Glebe and was the home of Rev. Joseph Morton, Rector of Strokestown.
Detailed description from Buildings of Ireland:
Detached three-bay two-storey over basement former glebe house, built in 1814, with central bow to front elevation, return to rear and entrance porch to side elevation. Balustrade to basement well. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Coursed limestone walls with limestone quoins, pebbledashed walls to rear. Date to keystone on front elevation. Timber sash windows set in blind arches with tooled limestone sills and tooled limestone surrounds. Round-headed door opening in entrance porch with replacement timber panelled door and fanlight. Tripartite windows to central bow. Two-storey outbuildings to rear yard with pitched slate roof and roughcast-rendered walls. Rear yard enclosed by random coursed limestone wall. Decorative cast-iron gates and square-profile limestone gate piers to roadside, wrought-iron railings to winding driveway. Former glebe house is located in a parkland to the south of Strokestown.
|Buildings of Ireland database||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|