NewtownardsCounty Down

Share This:
Newtownards Workhouse on 1932 OS map
Newtownards Workhouse on 1932 OS map

The Newtownards Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £5,870. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Newtownards Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballygowan, Ballyhalbert, Ballymaglaff, Ballywalter, Bangor, Comber, Carrowdore, Donaghadee, Grey Abbey, Kilmood, Kircubbin, Moneyreagh, Mount Stewart, Newtown Ards, and Tullynakill. 

The Newtownards Workhouse was closed in 1922. 

In 1932 the Newtownards Workhouse site was repurposed as the Ards Hospital where a few of the original buildings still survive. 

References

For more information see here Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Public Records of Northern Ireland Northern Ireland. Great Britain. VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:

Workhouse

Communities Associated with this Building

Ancestors Associated with this Building